Sunday 1 November 2015

A successful trip back on the Avon

Here comes the fog
Well, following on from my last session on the new stretch I tried, Sunday afternoon found me travelling there once more, and with the drive down the M5 bathed in glorious autumn sunshine, I did question my chances in such bright conditions. When I arrived at the river though, it was quite misty, not much sunlight getting through, and the river was up a couple of inches since the last visit, although sadly still with no colour at all, very, very clear indeed.

But still, this is a deeper stretch, and the extra few inches offered a bit more flow, so I settled for a swim a few swims further upstream than Fridays session. With deep water close in, I droppered three or four pints of hemp in, just a rod length out, I decided to keep hookbaits the same, a 12mm crab pellet on one rod, and double elips on the other. I settled back and awaited events.

First hour proved very slow, and I began to get concerned about the fog which was descending,
A lovely autumn double

it was getting quite thick, and I didn't really fancy driving back in a pea souper very much. As the light began to fade, a few tweaks and pulls began to happen, mostly on the crab pellet rod, and sure enough, a good tug saw me in touch with a chub, only around 6oz, but a fish nevertheless. With the light fading and the fog worsening, I decided on another 20 minutes fishing. A few more tugs and twitches on the 12mm rod, and then finally a decent wrapover happened, which I first thought was a chub. It sooned proved it wasn't though, and off it went into mid river, hugging the bottom, as the better barbel seem to do.

After a few powerful runs, including a couple where I might lose the fish, I managed to slip the net under it, and she proved to be my second double of the season, coming in at 10.8.

I opted to pack up after that, with the fog, and the fact my landing net fell apart, but I drove home a happy angler!

No comments:

Post a Comment