Friday 13 November 2015

A lower Severn session....

A fine looking Lower Severn
With the Avon having dropped down a fair bit this week, my choice of venue for my afternoon off work wasn't a difficult one. The mid-severn, was about 4ft on, but the lower was well up, almost 7 feet on. Folk that know me are aware of how much I like the Lower Severn, despite it almost certainly not liking me anywhere near as much. Severn Stoke, was the venue of choice, and upon arrival on the car park, I have to say, the river looked the absolute nuts.....well coloured, bombing through in the middle, and spot on for a few fish. I spent 20 minutes wandering around looking at a few swims, eventually deciding on a swim with a decent crease, and also one I've fished before, back in the summer, so I knew it was snag free. It was also safe, easy to climb the bank, and a shallow ledge close in, always good should you slip and fall. I started on a feeder with 12mm pellet on the upstream rod, and a straight lead with a lump of garlic spam. It took about an hour for a bite, a big solid whack on the pellet rod, and a fish was on. A good scrap ensued, but I never thought I'd lose it, and I netted a fine looking lower Severn barbel, not big but a lovely fish. 

Best of the day
Unusually, for a coloured river, the meat remained untouched, so I swapped it around for a boilie with a paste wrap....which also failed to produce. Things went slowly for a few hours, with others also struggling, but a an hour or so before sunset, I managed another, again on the pellet rod, only a small fish though, for the Lower Severn especially, only about 3lb. The next chuck produced another one, again a small one, and that proved to be the last fish of the day.

I was a little disappointed not to have bigger fish, but three fish in a session in November is fine by me.


See the video to this session here:-


No comments:

Post a Comment